The Monster Park of Bomarzo – a beautiful village located in the province of Viterbo – is also known as the “Sacred Wood”. It is a historical complex definitely worth a visit for the deep and surprising path the visitor will experience through.
The Sacred Wood is in the “Villa delle Meraviglie” (The Villa of Wonders), built in 1552 by Prince Francesco Orsini, aka Vicino, and dedicated to his beloved wife Giulia Farnese, who died prematurely. This might be the reason why some experts say the creative inspiration of the Garden of Wonders could be linked to the enigmatic book “Hypnerotomachia Polyphilii” by Francesco Colonna, a hermetical-allegoric narration of a dream which leads its protagonist through a mystical quest for his loved one.
Architect Pirro Logorio, Michelangelo Buonarotti’s pupil, was directly involved in the realisation of the complex – He is famous for being involved with the finalisation of the Sixtin Chapel in St. Peter’s as well. We notice see Prince Orsini’s attempt to represent the human evolution path by the transformation of the big peperino stones lying on the ground into giant figures who literally talk to the visitors, telling them cryptic messages which would be unnoticed by many people.
The Monster Park hides an alchemic experiential path within. Some say the original entrance to the park was not the current one but that it was located by the “Pendant House”, a house built on a sloping stone which gives a very strange vertigo effect to the visitors, who struggle to stand up and stable.
The most impressive statues of the park are The Ogre, a scary representation of a man’s head screaming, and The Dormient Nymph, described as “one of those young women inhabiting the countryside, woods and waters”, who represent fecundity and grace.
There are many more monumental beauties you’ll be able to discover in the Monster Park and its path combining mystery and spirituality, art and symbolism, in a breathtaking natural frame.
How to get to the Monster Park:
- Distance from Wao Festival: 56,5 km
- Website: http://www.bomarzo.net
- Bookings: Please contact the Infoline +39761924029 for information on times and guided tours of the park
- Entrance fee: € 8,00 per person.
- Maps and directions: https://goo.gl/maps/vnAKiRUU4hD2
- Il Parco dei Mostri di M. Uberti , http://www.duepassinelmistero.com/mostri.htm consultato il 03/05/2017
- Bomarzo esoterica, http://www.irradiazioni.it/calendario-eventi-e-visite-guidate/bomarzo-esoterica.html, consultato il 03/05/2017
- I segreti del bosco di Bomarzo, http://salute.leonardo.it/i-segreti-del-bosco-di-bomarzo-il-parco-dei-mostri-come-giardino-esoterico/, consultato il 03/05/2017
- The monster of Bomarzo, http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-monsters-of-bomarzo , consultato il 03/05/2017
- Il bosco sacro di Bomarzo, http://www.visionealchemica.com/il-bosco-sacro-di-bomarzo/ , consultato il 03/05/2017
Il bosco di Bomarzo di L. Manzo, http://www.bomarzo.net/bosco_Bomarzo.pdf , consultato