by Erika Moriconi and Michele Stignani
We are a company that produces totally biodegradable shoes, called Wao, just like the festival that will host us! There is much talk of the environment, reduction of consumption, ecology and energy saving. There are those who do it with conviction and those for simple marketing purposes, especially in the field of fashion which is the second most polluting industry in the world after that of oil. INSTEAD OF SPEAKING, WE ARE LOOKING FOWARD TO DO IT. We have created WAO, the first entirely ecological shoe made with sustainable, innovative and natural materials. And here it is our echo effect, which can be synthesized in the cycle of WAO: from the earth come the 12 parts that make up the shoe, and they return to the earth once they are used. In this workshop we will show you what we have created to make our product totally sustainable:
– Short reference to our bio.
– Introduction on the natural materials used:
the difference between Vegan materials and organic and ecological materials.
– Tinctures: The reason for our radical choices on natural dyes. The difference between natural dyes and water-based inks. Waste water, soil pollution, etc.
– Our “zero-go” sole: composition, costs, disposal, biodegradability.
– Life circle system: Explain our way of doing circular economy
– The associations to which we give the 4%: which they are and why we have more than one.
– The end of the echo effect: disposal, separation of components and vermiculture.
– Short demonstration of natural dyeing of a fabric with the plant that gives our yellow: the Reseda
WAO Team bio
WAO is a project that was born in 2017 from an idea of Michele and Erika, fashion professionals who have chosen to break away from the typical dynamics of the field to implement a different business model.
The first idea was to make the chain transparent, tracing each step. Then the research on style and materials started, the development of the first prototype, the sharing and enhancement of the project with professionals sensitive to the topic that led us, in December 2018, to successfully conclude a crowdfunding campaign on the Kickstarter website.
WAO is a shoe made out of the logic of fashion, inspired by the principles of ethics, sustainability, solidarity of our code of ethics and is proposed and sold, with the least possible environmental impact.